K2 Climb 2016
Blog #34: Back at BC, waiting for a window
Day 34 – Basecamp Rest Day, 5000m
Click for larger image
The weather report says that summit winds are 75 knots today. However galling it was to have to come all the way back down the mountain, we definitely made the right decision. I slept though to 0730, and only awoke as the heat in my tent became unbearable in my sleeping bag.
As usual after a rotation on the hill, the first order of the morning (after breakfast of course) was a shower and a clothes wash. It was a lovely warm morning, and the washing water was almost scaldingly hot, and perfect to get a good lather on!
Not much else to report – we’ve got a new team (of 2 people) who’ve pitched their camp just below ours, but we haven’t managed to work out exactly who they are, and what they are here to do – more spying required – and I’ll update you as soon as I have more info!
As some arrive (although we don’t think they are actually here for K2), some leave – due to various reasons, but we reckon that at least four people who were on this last rotation who have either left BC this morning, or will be leaving in the next couple of days. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are several more who decide not to try to go up the hill again.
We’re going to be in BC for at least three or four days before we even think about going back on the hill, but now that we’ve slept at C3, we’re now just waiting for that decent window, in which we can try for the summit. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for us!
Jake Meyer 2016 K2 Expedition fundraising in support of Walking With The Wounded
Please note, that Jake’s comments are his alone (as are his spelling and grammar mistakes and poor jokes), and do not represent the views of any of the Sponsors, Expedition affiliates or Expedition Team Members. All praise/complaints to Jake on his safe return.
More K2 blogs:
Although the summit attempt is over, there is still a challenge ahead: getting everything and everyone safely off the mountain…
It is with deep regret that Jake announces that the expedition is over, and the UK team will be heading home.
The Savage Mountain maintains its reputation, as Jake and the team’s worst fears are confirmed as they reach Camp 3.
In wild and windy conditions, Jake bravely leaves Camp 2 and battles his way up the mountain.
Jake’s summit attempt begins, and he is joined by an enjoyable partner – clear skies and warm sunshine!
Just before he left to make his summit attempt, we put to Jake some questions that had been sent in for him via Twitter, Facebook and the K2 2016 newsletter.
Day 40: Basecamp 5000m… but not for long!
Clear blue skies and an encouraging weather forecast mean that Jake and the team are making their final preparations for their attempt to reach the summit of K2!
Day 38 & 39: Basecamp 5000m
With the day of the summit attempt just round the corner, the team enjoy some birthday cake before the final dramatic push begins!
Day 36 & 37: Basecamp 5000m
As the team wait out some bad weather in basecamp, Jake ruminates on just how dependent on the weather gods a successful summit attempt is…
Day 35: Basecamp 5000m
Jake has gone from the visceral thrill of climbing up to 7300m, to getting excited about KitKats and margerita-flavoured jelly shots…
Use the form below to sign up for regular newsletters on Jake’s progress. Please note that initially this will be a weekly or bi-weekly email, but during Jake’s climb the frequency will increase. You will not be sent any other emails and we will not share your email address with anyone else. [mc4wp_form id=”12057″]